Former named Mileszyna, Gorca in 1258, Mileszna or Milesna - in 1343, Milesina in 1364, Myleszna Gorka - 1576. Church village with mansion-house, in Sredz county, deanery in Kostrzyn. It lies 9 km on the West-South from Wrzesnia, has catholic parish, school and post office. The evangelic parish in Holendry Nekielskie. The railway station in Opatowek - 5 km away, and another one in Nekla - a little farther. There was Milesza from Gorka in 1258 - a midst of Prince Boleslaw - Wladyslaw Odonicz`s son; in 1272 - Prince Helena sold her inheritance to Piotr - Milesza`s son - for 18 grzyw. srebra /* old monetary unit/ annexing this property to Gorka Mileszy and to Gdec, and at the same time excluding it from Chocicza - and releasing it from various debts (Code of Wielkopolska, no 369,449). Prince Helena`s legacy isn`t neighbouring to Mala Gorka /** Little Mountain/ which had already been in the possession of Gniezno Chapter - but it is one of settlement which joins with Gorka Mileszyna. Year 1343 - did appear 2 cousins: Piotr - the castellan of Radzim and Dobrogost Mileszyc - both Lords of Gorka Mileszyna town, and they regained by King Kasimir the lost in fire rights for setting German law in this town. King Casimir was in Poznan at that time - and revived this priviledge in 14 June 1343. 1348 - did appear Janusz Gorko - the castellan of Kalisz w ho didn`t descend from Gorka Mileszyna (Code of Wielkopolska, no 1270) which was engaged by Wojciech and Milesza in 1364 and 1366. Wojciech sold one fourth of Gorka Mileszyna - the part including Maly Lepin and Borkow (these 2 places do not exist any more) - to Jan - the castellan of Szrem for 340 grzyw. groszy. This sale contract was confirmed by King Casimir in Pyzdry (Code of Wielkopolska, no 1530). This Wojciech from Gorka or other one did appear in 1397 together with Zawisza from Wrzesnia and with Wincenty from Bierzglin (files II, no 613). Milesza from Gorka Mileszyna - gaged a part of this property with its dependency (called as Polwice) - keeping half of Lepin for himself – to this castellan, and in the next year he sold another part including the forest in Kozacin to Jan, the castellan of Kalisz - for 150 grzyw (Code of Wielkopolska, no 1564, 1575). 1370 - Dobrogost - the real inheritor of Gorka Mileszyna - gaged mansion to his son-in -law Jakusz Mlynek (Code of Wlkp, no 1640). Between 1390-1400 Gorka Mileszyna was inherited by Boguchwal (Boguslaw), Dobieslaw and Bodzety (files of Wlkp, II), sons , as we infer, of Jan Poraj from Bierzglin and Jankon - the castellan of Kalisz. In 1397 - did appear Stachna - a townswoman together with Wincenty from Nowy Bierzglin, and in 1400 - did appear Malgorzata - a local administrator (file , II no 609, 613, 921). In 1458 - there were two soldiers from Gora Mileszyna - who took a part in Malbork crusade. G.M included Mala Wies /*Little Village/ and Wielka Wies /** Great Village/. 1506 - Barbara Gorska married with Jan Splawski - a judge in Kalisz, and she gave him in her dowry a part of Gora `s property. 1559 – the Splawskis and the Goreckis ruled here, both families belonged to the Dryja arms, by Paprocki`s armorial. Leonard came from this Gorecki family. By tax register in 1578 - there was Jedrzej Gorecki who paid taxes for a half of estate, of 2 tenants and 1 butcher, there was also Mikolaj Splawski who paid taxes for 2 estates, 2 municipal properties, 1 taylor and 4 tradesmen. This register in 1618-1620 included Ambrozy Gorecki ,who paid 15 groszy , and the mayor with town council - who paid 4 zloty 3 grosze for 2 estates, 3 tradesmen and 3 tenants. In 1638 - a part of Gorka belonged to the Milezynskis family, in 1671 – to Jan Gorecki, and in 1722 the whole Gorka belonged to the Turnow family. 1724 - King August II gave the privilege to this settlement for 5 markets and fairs in every Monday; King Stanislaw August confirmed it adding 4 markets more. After 1761 - this property was inherited by the Drogonscy family, and in ca 1793 - Lord Keyserling - and his daughter Adela marrying with Hamikary Kosinski - annexing this property as her dowry to the Kosinskis` s household. General Wladyslaw `s son sold it to Bronislaw Zychlinski in ca 1870; next Gora Targowa /*** Market mountain/ was taken by Germans. The name of Gorka Mileszyna has been changed in this time for Gora Targowa, known already by Paprocki.There is a pond shaggy by reeds - between Gorecki castle and alcohol distillery, and there were 12 breweries round. The church of Archangel Michael was established before 1510; new churches in place of old ones -were built by : Nicholas Mielzynski - a castellan in Gniezno - 1636, by Kazimierz Sosnowicz - a vicar, and by the Kosinskis family in 1840. In 1621 - it was established the Rosary brotherhood. Parish books start from 1621. it is a note for Zygmunt Turny `s gravestone - a esquire carver (in 1761 , parish files , I, 380 by Lukaszewicz). General Hamilkary Kosinski was buried in local cemetary (died 10 March 1823). Parish has 1479 inhabitants including: Chwalczyce, Dzierzchnica, Gasiorowo, Hamilkarowo, Mystki, Raclawki, Stepocin and Targowa Gorka. Parish schools are in Stepocin and Gorka. It was a chapel of St Margaret in years 1638-1725. The hospital was established by Mielzynski in 1628 – and this hospital exist till today. Targowa Gorka has 36 houses and 394 inhabitants (390 catholics and 4 evangelics) and 506 hectares of land (409 of farm land and 19 of meadows). It is a mansion circle - created by mansion with Hamilkarowo, Raclawki , brick-yard (1 house and 6 inhabitants) and forester`s lodge - with its 25 houses and 424 inhabitants (372 Catholics, 52 evangelics) and 1370 hectors of land : 950,27 of farm land, 75 of meadows, 32,17 of pasture, 274 of forest, 37,28 waste land, 1.28 of water; alcohol distillery, brick yard, sheep fold, holland cattle breeding; King of Prussia is the owner.
From the Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i innych krajów slowianskich (Geographic Dictionary of the Former Kingdom of Poland and other Slavic Lands) published between 1880 and 1902.
Translated by Iwona Dakiniewicz.
For more information on Slownik Geograficzny, go to : PGSA site or Polish Roots site.